Documentation Roadmap

drew at dbguin.lunar-linux.org drew at dbguin.lunar-linux.org
Tue Jul 8 01:12:26 GMT 2003

Evening everyone.

Or at least, it's evening here (Boston).  I'm working on a plan/roadmap
for the documentation project that I have volunteered for.  In discussions
on the #lunar irc channel, four items were put to me that I should work
on.

	1) Installation Manual

This is my top priority, as I feel that it is probably the biggest reason
linux users don't even try lunar.  Currently, we have nothing to guide a
potential user through the install process.  More experienced users may
not have a problem with this, but newer, more inexperienced users, will
certainly give up more easily without something to help them towards
getting their lunar system up and running.  I'm hoping to have an  "alpha"
version of the installation manual done before July is out, with
bug-busting and subsequent releases through August.  I'm gonna try like
hell to have a final version ready to publish on or before September 1st,
2003.

	2) Handy Stuff You Need On The Command Line
	3) Core Documentation

These two would seem to go hand in hand, as it were.  It would be nice to
have a solid piece of documentation to act as a segue between the install
manual and the core documentation.  "Handy Stuff You Need On The Command
Line" seems like a friendly enough introduction to a user's new lunar
system.  Core documentation, however, is where I'm going to need the most
input from all of the developers.  There are probably several parts of the
Lunar core that I've never had to deal with in my own experiences, but
certain devs mights have a keen insight as to why they are vitally
important.  "Handy Stuff" can probably be developed alongside the Install
Manual, but a final version probably wouldn't happen until late September.
The Core Documentation will be an ongoing process, however I would like to
have all of the fundamental systems covered in some sort of "alpha" form
before the end of September.  I don't have as high a priority on this
because, once the user get the system up and running, they will have
access to all the man pages that Terry Chan took the time to write.

	4) Books About Lunar

Unless Chuck is writing a book about Lunar and how it's going to take over
the world, I'm really not sure what to do about this.  ;-)

There we have it.  I welcome all suggestions, input, flames, etc, etc.

--drew
drew at lunar-linux.org
tel. gsm +1.781.888.8878