kernel && patches

nestu nestu at lunar-linux.org
Sun Aug 10 21:22:23 GMT 2003

Hi everyone! ;)
I wanted to ask if there is any policy about grabbing kernel source, if
full source _must_ be DLed everytime.  I'm asking, 'cause when I bump up
the kernel's version, I thought about patching it: maybe we could check
for a base install  -say, for example, linux-XXX- and if it is there,
get the patch to bump it up to  linux-XXX-yyy. Furthermore, IAC, the
user can be prompted if he/she wants to fetch full source, or viceversa
( default is fetch the full source, but if a patch can be applied,
prompt the user for what should be done).
Another thing I thought of is kernel's config placement. How about
putting a default location, and checking there first for it, and if it
not there, prompt the user. Maybe this could be applied to more modules
where a default_config could be saved in ${CONFIG_DIR} or something
alike? Am I outdated on this? Pro/cons? What 'ya think ?
C U,
nestu ;)))
--
Lunar Linux           http://www.lunar-linux.org